The huge explosion in online casinos over the last ten years means it’s never been easier to enjoy gambling whether you’re at home or on the move. Whether poker, roulette or blackjack are your game, you’ll be able to find some action to suit.
Funding your casino account is also incredibly simple today. Gone are the days when you had to worry about complex ways of moving funds in or out of your casino account or waiting on endless delays at either end. Simply select the credit card of your choice and the vast majority of transactions are simple and straightforward.
In this article we’ll be covering one of the most popular credit cards out there – Amex (or American Express as many of you will be familiar with it). More specifically, we’ll be looking at how to go about finding an online casino accepting Amex.
Let’s start with some background though.
Founded in 1850, Amex is an American institution. It’s part of the exclusive list of thirty companies that comprise the Dow Jones Industrial Average and has been ranked as high as the 14th most valuable brand in the world. You’re in pretty safe hands with Amex in other words.
Though the company is involved in many different areas, it’s for their credit card offerings that they’re of course best known. Amex are very much part of the Big Three when it comes to credit cards and their cards are responsible for roughly a quarter of all credit card transactions in America alone, and over 109.9 million cards in circulation.
After decades of dominance, Amex cards have faced much more serious competition from the likes of Visa and Mastercard in recent years but they are still one of the best options to consider in terms of credit cards and accepted worldwide.
Let’s move on to what to keep an eye out for in terms of using Amex cards in online casinos.
American Express Updates 2021
With the expansion of legal sports betting through the United States, bettors can now fund their activities with the help of AMEX cards, in addition, security protocols such as Verify-It and SafeKey are taking place to keep payments safe while sharing customer information.
United Overseas Bank Limited and American Express announced the launch of a new “Absolute Cashback Credit Card”, consumers will be able to receive cashbacks on every transaction made with these AMEX cards.
American express disclosed an update on its $1 billion “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” action plan, the report stated an approximate of $250 million spent towards a range of initiatives including; financial assistance for black-owned businesses, college education equity payments, and numerous philanthropic contributions.
American Express invested in Coda, an API-based platform for business data; this investment will help the London-based firm expand its business within the American market.
Even though sports betting in the U.S. can now be funded with AMEX cards, due to federal laws, withdrawals and cash-outs are still not permitted.
Up to this day, AMEX cards remain a great option to fund online gambling activities, however, due to the high fees charged to businesses and growing variety of payment options, AMEX is not as widely accepted as other funding methods worldwide.
Amex cards bring their own specific advantages with them but many of the things to look out for in online casinos in terms of their use are general factors. For example, the first thing you want to check is whether the casino you are thinking of going with has a good track record online.
A huge number of new online casinos have sprung into life over the last five years. This has been good news for gamblers generally, but not all of these entrants are good candidates for your business in terms of either their gameplay or financial security. The best way of getting a quick read on whether a casino is the right fit for you is to double-check they have actually been in business for a few years and that their reputation is generally good.
The second thing you want to check is that a full range of gaming options is actually available. Though you probably have a particular favourite – poker perhaps – you want to see that the casino is capable of providing the standard suite of table games you’d expect to find.
The next item on your checklist should be customer support and online documentation. There are always going to be questions that come up with your account and you don’t want to have any difficulty getting answers. Make sure your online casino offers phone, chat and email support and that their help pages are well-written and informative.
The final option to bear in mind is the range of bonuses on offer. These will usually be split between sign-up bonuses and other offers that you can avail of over the lifetime of your account. Bonus offers shouldn’t be the only factor influencing your decision – no matter how tempting they may be! – but they can be a nice little extra to take advantage of if the other factors look good.
There are a few things to be particularly careful of when using Amex cards in an online casino. These are mostly common sense so we’ll keep them brief:
- Stay on the right side of the law: You need to be very certain that online gambling is legal in the jurisdiction you happen to be operating in. This applies particularly to gamblers in the United States where laws are much stricter than much of the rest of the world.
- Withdrawal options: The majority of online casinos will have no problem letting you deposit funds with an Amex card but not all will let you withdraw to your card. Make sure the option to withdraw direct to your card is available to avoid nasty surprises down the line.
- Transaction fees: Amex cards have historically had higher fees associated with them that they’ve made up for with unique service offerings. They’ve run into problems with merchants in the past also so make sure you understand exactly how much you’ll be losing to all relevant parties on each transaction.
We’ve mentioned that Amex fees can be relatively high compared to other card providers but they’ve long sold themselves on having a unique range of other advantages connected with the card. Here’s a quick list of the most obvious:
- Global reputation: Though their network is slightly weaker in Europe, American Express is still a globally recognised brand that you should be able to use seamlessly across countries and currencies.
- Gift cards: American Express offer a number of attractive gift card options if you want to share the wealth with friends and loved ones.
- Rewards: American Express are rightly famous for their outstanding reward programme. Simply by using your card, you’ll rack up potentially thousands of dollars in terms of credit card bonus points and special offers over the lifetime of your use.
- Travel Points: Closely related to the rewards programme, Amex also offers incredibly attractive travel bonuses to business and personal travellers. These come in the form of air miles, upgrades and attractive offers from a range of travel partners worldwide. You can also take advantage of a full range of travel insurance options so you’re covered for every eventuality on your travels.
There are nearly 120 million Amex cardholders worldwide so you’re in good company if you sign up. According to a report published by Statista in 2020, the largest number of users are U.S. residents, however many internationally licenced casinos accept Amex, and in fact, there are nearly 60 million cardholders in other countries. Let’s have a look at the exact numbers.
Signing up itself is relatively straightforward, you can sign up directly on the American Express website or via any one of their Global Service Network partners which include giants such as Barclays Bank and Lloyds Bank in the UK.- Size of membership worldwide
As with any credit card provider, we recommend you closely review the terms and conditions associated with your card to be sure you understand any fees, interest charges or penalties that may apply. These will vary by country and according to which package or card type you’re signing up to so review the small print carefully.
Amex cards are by no means the only option available for funding your online casino account. A sensible strategy is making sure you have at least a couple of funding options available at any one time so you’re not forced to rely on just one. Here are some of the most common alternatives:
- PayPal: Though there are new online e-wallet options springing up every month, PayPal remains the market leader. It’s accepted by most online casinos and is incredibly handy in terms of its speed of funds transfer and ubiquity.
- Visa and Mastercard: These two cards are the main global competitors to American Express. Both Visa and Mastercard offer world-class security, reliability and a truly global network.
You should expect to find the full range of standard casino games in any provider that accepts Amex cards. Here are the most popular options that you’ll be able to enjoy:
- Poker: Poker is by far the most popular casino game both offline and online. You’ll find a full range of options online in most casinos with live dealer play and table sizes of all kinds. Playing poker online is a great way of quickly ratcheting up your experience levels as you can get through a lot of playing time quickly but at your own pace.
- Roulette: Roulette has long been the most glamorous of all the casino games. There’s something uniquely exciting about the combination of high-stakes and unpredictability, coupled with the opportunity to introduce an element of strategy into proceedings. Again, live and fully software controlled variations will be on offer here.
- Blackjack: Blackjack is the other main popular table game you should expect to see on offer. It’s a gambling opportunity that rewards disciplined play and the ability to stay in the game for the long haul. As with poker, there is a world of strategy to explore here and you’ll be able to play both live dealer games and fully automated solutions.
- Slots: Playing slots is a very different gaming experience to the three options above but complements them all wonderfully as a way to kick back and enjoy some low-stakes fun. The production values and 3d technology in the latest generation of games make playing them a genuinely immersive and entertaining experience.
We hope this article has helped you decide whether to use Amex cards and given you some options in terms of finding online casinos that accept Amex cards. They’re a great extra option to have in your pocket and bring a world of additional benefits with them. We wish you luck out there on the tables when you’re using your Amex card!
|Author: Tim Bolding
If you want to know how we select the information of our articles, how we rate online casinos or if you would like to know more about our writer Tim, don't hesitate in checking our About Us page.
Selecting the best banking option is crucial for your online casino journey, we invite you to check our exhaustive section of Payment Methods so you can compare different providers and select the one that works the best for you.