Online casinos have become more and more popular over the last five to ten years and players all around the world are discovering the thrill of virtual table games. One of the many factors driving new registrations at online casinos has been the increasing ease of using various different types of payment methods to fund accounts.
In this article, we’ll take a look at one of the most popular options out there: the Discover Card. The Discover Card is one of the most widely used cards online with over 50 million cardholders. We’ll cover everything you need to know about online casinos that take Discover Card from the type of casinos that offer the option to the types of games you can use it to play.
Let’s start with a look at the history of the card itself.
The Discover Card was originally launched by american retail giant Sears back in the 1980s in an attempt to rival perennial payments giants such as Mastercard, Visa and American Express. The card quickly gained popularity, helped in large part by innovations such as having no annual fee and offering “Cashback Bonuses” to its users.
Under pressure from businesses such as Wal-Mart in the late 1980s, Sears eventually divested its interest in the Discover Card but, after passing through ownership by Morgan Stanley along the way, it exists to this day as a popular credit card option for all many of purposes.
When it comes to using your Discover Card in an online casino, there are a number of factors you should be on the lookout for.
The first is that you are looking for an online casino with a solid track record and online reputation. It’s increasingly easy set up an online casino and, while this is generally good news for players, it does mean that you need to exercise some caution in terms of due diligence before you open an account.
You’re looking for an online casino that has been in operation for at least a couple of years, ideally with some sort of verifiable offline presence as well. You’ll also want to see that it has a solid online reputation on gambling forums and in the industry.
The second thing to look out for is a full range of gaming options. Unless you’re specifically looking for a dedicated one-game environment (a poker-only site for example), you want to see that an interesting range of table and non-table games is supported. At a minimum, most online casinos should have full options for blackjack, roulette, poker and slots players.
Last but not least, look out for signup bonuses on offer. The majority of casinos will offer deposit and no-deposit bonuses of varying percentage amounts for new sign-ups. Many will also offer attractive ongoing bonus offers to keep play interesting over the lifetime of your account. Customer support should be the next item on your checklist. When you’re using your Discover Card to fund your account, you want to be certain that you can get quick questions to any account questions you may have at any time of day or night and not be bounced around email queues. Make sure that your online casino offers email, telephone and live chat support options before signing up
Moving on to Discover Card specific options, there are a couple of things you need to be particularly aware of when choosing an online casino.
The first is simply that you’re staying on the right side of the law. The Discover Card is particularly strong in the United States but american online gambling laws are among the strictest in the world.
It’s outside of the scope of this article to go into the various ins and outs of state by state gambling law in America but, as a responsible gambler, you want to be sure you are not flouting any regulatory requirements that may apply if you are resident of or based in American.
The second thing to watch out for are account fees. Be very sure that you’ve thoroughly checked exactly how much of each funding or withdrawal transaction will be lost to processing fees from either the online casino or the Discover Card itself.
With those minor caveats out of the way, let’s move on to the advantages using a Discover Card in online casinos bring.
The first is that you’re dealing with a truly major provider. Discover Card has been in operation for decades and is a reliable, long-term business you can trust. They have admittedly had some ups and downs over the years – a $200 million telemarketing related fine in 2012 for example – but their overall track record as a credit card provider is very strong.
The second major plus point is that Discover Cards typically carry no annual fee. The card was one of the first operators to offer this though the option is more commonplace these days.
Discover also offer various levels of reward programs which may entice many users. These range from 5% to 20% cashback bonuses at selected online retailers to special deals and “Refer a Friend” bonuses. Prepaid Discover Cards and Gift Cards are also available.
Discover Cards are one of the Big 4 credit card providers and fuelled approximately $129 billion in payments in 2014.
Registration for a Discover Card can be carried out either directly online or through partner providers such as Walmart or the NFL. As with any other credit card provider, you’ll want to review the Terms and Conditions on offer closely before signing up to any particular deals and also consider the credit rating implications
Discover Cards are of course not the only option available for funding your online casino account. Let’s have a quick look at other popular options available to you:
- Visa: As one of the most popular credit cards in the world, Visa arrives with a bulletproof record of reliability and security and is accepted by the vast majority of online casinos.
- Mastercard: The other half of the Big Two, Mastercard is accepted globally, available via a vast range of partner providers and another popular option for casino players across the globe.
- Amex: American Express may not quite have the reputation these days that it once enjoyed but it’s still one of the payment methods of choice for high-rollers across the globe. Their extra offers for members are also legendary.
- Paypal: The ubiquity of Paypal online means it’s very much worth having an account set up in the background, even if it’s not your primary casino funding methods. The majority of casinos are happy to accept Paypal and the speed of funds transfer makes it an attractive option for gamblers.
What about the actual games on offer when it comes to using your Discover Card to play in online casinos? Here’s a quick list of the main candidates:
- Poker: Poker is the dominant online casino game for a very good reason – it’s hard to beat its unique combination of strategy, skill and global player pool. You can expect to find a huge range of pot sizes on offer and a mixture of live dealer and automated play.
- Roulette: The cinematic appeal of roulette has long lent it a unique glamour in casinos offline and much of that kinetic excitement can now also be savoured online thanks to a new breed of 3d titles from software manufacturers such as Betsoft and Microgaming.
- Blackjack: Blackjack appeals to savvy gamblers with a head for maths who like to pit their wits against the house and other players. You’ll find a full range of blackjack games online with one, two and four decks with either live dealers or automated play.
- Slots: Slot machines are a great way of unwinding with a little low-stakes fun. The latest generation of online slots titles have considerably upped the entertainment factor with immersive storylines and innovate gameplay.
Finding online casinos that accept Discover Card is your passport to a world of entertaining and potentially lucrative virtual action. The card itself is a rock-solid payment provider and accepted at many casinos online. Use it today to sign up for a new account and good luck out there on the tables!
Check Out Our List Of The Best Discover Card Online Casinos!