One of the main factors driving the incredible growth in reliable, secure online casinos over the last decade has been the emergence of a small group of specialised software providers who develop the core technology underlying most casino sites. Though there’s an incredible variety of online casinos out there competing for players’ business, the amount of companies actually developing games is relatively small.
In this article we’ll take a deep dive on one of the most prominent casino software companies out there – Real Time Gaming. Though the name may be unfamiliar to some, they provide the technical knowhow that powers some of the biggest online casinos online.
Let’s kick things off with some background on the company.
Real Time Gaming (or RTG for short) is an online casino company that was founded in 1998 in Atlanta, Georgia. In January 2007, the company was acquired by Hastings International (based in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles) and thus became part of the wider corporate services provider known as the HBM Group. RTG subsequently moved its main operations to Costa Rica over the course of 2007 and 2008.
RTG has established a name for itself as a top-tier casino software provider over the intervening years and is licensed by many operators worldwide who run their own casino sites using RTG software under the hood.
In addition to providing a steady stream of new games to its clients, RTG also specialises in offering backroom management for casinos – a term that covers all the tools needed for the secure and smooth operation of an online gaming site. Using RTG’s software, casinos are able to keep real-time tabs on all games and transactions, support customers, and troubleshoot problems the minute they arrive. This is a massive benefit from the perspective of casino owners as it gives them an off-the-shelf system they can use to manage most aspects of their business rather than forcing them to develop expensive custom technological solutions themselves.
You’ll find Real Time Gaming online casinos all across the web and a good place to start narrowing down your selection is using the handy list of reliable RTG casinos we’ve put together for you on this page.
Real Time Gaming software can be accessed from all over the world and, in contrast to many other providers, they accept US players. American-based gamblers will still naturally have to respect the local laws that apply in their jurisdiction but they will have no trouble finding RTG casinos which accept players from USA online.
Real Time Gaming’s model involves providing extensive customization and game branding options for each of its clients. From a player’s perspective, this means you’ll enjoy a unique gaming experience in each particular RTG casino though the interfaces you come across may be radically different on the surface. RTG software can be acessed in two basic formats:
- As an in-browser experience: This typically involves use of the Flash plugin to power things behind the scenes. Though Flash is struggling as a means of providing most online content, it’s still a popular solution for online casino content and casual gaming.
- As downloadable standalone software: In this case, users will have to download a specific piece of software to their machines that can take full advantage of the power of your device while still connecting online.
As you’d expect in an increasingly multi-device world, RTG games can be enjoyed on any device. No matter whether you’re on desktop, laptop, or using an iPhone, iPad or Android device, there’ll be an RTG-powered solution available for you.
Real Time Gaming casinos offer a number of specific advantages to gamblers looking to make the most of their online earning potential. Here’s a quick breakdown of the three most obvious ones you can expect to enjoy:
- Bonuses and jackpots: Along with the typical in-play bonuses and jackpots you’ll find in nearly every online casino, RTG games usually contain a variety of additional bonus features to make the most of. You can expect to see free spins offers available, attractive no deposit bonuses, and tempting promotions and play-based rewards.
- Game quality and guaranteed entertainment: One of the key factors behind RTG’s ongoing popularity has been the smoothness of their implementation and quality of the graphics and sound effects used. RTG games are noted for the quality of their software build which contributes strongly to the overall entertainment on offer for players. You can also expect to find a range of carefully considered customisation options on each title which enable you to control items such as game speed, graphics and other options to personalise your experience.
- Security: Security is always a concern when it comes to online gaming and Real Time Gaming enjoys an excellent reputation in this regard. Their deposit, payment and cashout systems all use 128-bit encryption as standard and are built with the highest security standards in mind.
Though Real Time Gaming casinos are enjoyed by thousands of gamblers worldwide, there are some slight negative points you should be aware of before selecting them as your provider of choice. Here are three of the main strikes against to consider:
- Payment options: RTG casinos do their best to make both depositing and withdrawal as smooth as possible but they are limited to the options made available by the underlying software. Be sure to check the options available thoroughly before you sign up to a particular casino to make sure you’re particular payment method of choice is supported. Also bear in mind that the methods available for deposit may be different from those supported for withdrawal.
- Payout levels: A further point to bear in mind is that RTG allows its operators to choose the payouts available on slot machines. While most casinos will stick around the 98% rate that is standard online, there is the possibility rogue casinos can change the RTP rates (Return to Player) to a lower number. Again, this is something you want to research thoroughly when weighing up the merits of a particular casino. If you’re having any trouble getting your hands on info for a particular provider, give them a wide berth.
- Hands-off approach: Related to our previous point, it’s worth noting that RTG are simply a software provider at the end of the day – they are not actually operating the casinos that use their technology. If a particular operator is prepared to pay for the software, they’re likely to be able to use it without issues. What this means from a player’s point of view is that you’ll need to assess the actual casino providers carefully. The underlying software is secure and excellently designed but that doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed a smooth experience with all operators. Make sure to do your due diligence when choosing an online casino.
As we mentioned previously, RTG produce a continually expanding range of popular casino titles with many of them being 3-reel and 5-reel slot titles.
If you’re a slots aficionado, you’ve almost certainly come across titles such as Diamond Mine, Aztec’s Treasure, Achilles and Aladdin’s Wishes. Sports-themed titles such as Basketbull are also popular and several games use a historical take to ramp up the excitement in titles such as Caesar’s Empire and Incan Goddess.
You’ll also come across seasonal titles such as Santa Strikes Back, Santastic and Return of the Rudolph. RTG also provide a number of entertaining and slightly tongue-in-cheek offerings such as Mid-life Crisis, Three Stooges, Hen House and Texan Tycoon. Basically, if slots are your game, you won’t be stuck for choices at an RTG casino.
Slots aren’t the only game in town however. RTG also provide a full range of further table and casino games including poker, craps, blackjack, keno, and roulette.
As we mentioned at the top of the article, there are a small number of specialist online casino software providers competing to power most of the online gambling sites you’ll run across as a player. That competition is good news for players as it helps drive continual improvement across the board. Here are three of the top names you can expect to find duking it out with RTG for casinos’ business:
- Microgaming: Microgaming is one of the leading names in online gambling software. The company was one of the first to market with online casino software all the way back in 1994 and nowadays offers over six hundred games across its software suite. You can find out more in our comprehensive guide to Microgaming online casinos.
- Playtech: Playtech was established back in 1999 and has grown to be an exceptionally popular online casino software provider in the meantime. You’ll find Playtech software powering an impressive range of online casinos, live dealer games, online poker rooms, online sports betting and much more besides. You can find out more by consulting our guide to Playtech casinos.
- Cryptologic: Cryptologic is another well-established name having been founded back in 1995. The company was acquired by the Amaya Gaming Group in 2012 and continues to provide a range of online gaming software to casinos worldwide to this day. Our guide to Cryptologic casinos will take you through their history and current offerings in more depth.
Generally speaking, you’re in safe hands when opting for a Real Time Gaming online casino. Their range of titles, gameplay, and overall security are all excellent and the fact that they accept USA players makes them an appealing option for many.
You’ll naturally want to carefully review individual Real Time Gaming casinos to make sure their overall performance and payouts are up to scratch but the underlying technology is second to none. Use our lists of reliable Real Time Gaming casinos to narrow down your search and good luck out there on the tables!
Offers from RTG Online Casinos